Medical Records Requests & Handling Fees
With few exceptions, medical records requests to our office, even when coming from a doctor’s office, involve handling fees. Please see below for specific fees, as well as exceptions for low-income patients.
Therefore, unless no fee is due, we need to connect with you directly regarding payment of fees (not only receive a records request from your healthcare provider), before we release any records.
Our office is temporarily closed, and we don’t currently have a dedicated fax number. Please snail-mail your records release form to the mailing address, or complete, sign, scan, and email back your records-release form to info (a) lumina-health (dot) com. (Exception: if we are only uploading records to your patient portal, we do not need a release form.)
While the law allows us up to 30 days to complete your medical-records request, we can often complete the request in 1-2 weeks. Both of these timelines begin from the time that payment for handling charges has been received by us. Expedited timing is not guaranteed until we’ve discussed your request with you, so for planning purposes, do allow up to 30 days for fulfillment of your request.
We will email you to confirm your understanding of the fees, and to clarify whether you’d like to confirm or change your request. Again, we will release records after payment has been received.
No same-day or immediate processing of medical records is available.
Avoid duplication of charges by using the patient portal
To avoid charging you for releasing the same records again in the future, we prefer to upload results to your patient portal account, so that you will then have permanent direct access, and can provide copies to whomever you choose. Selected test results may be provided free of charge (see below).
We will email you a Paypal link for payment of the handling charges, after we have received confirmation directly from you, whether you want all or a subset of what might have been requested by your doctor.
All of these are well below the level provided by law (see sidebar for reference.)
- Handling fee per request and per destination: $10.
- All tests resulted in the 12 months prior to receiving your request will be included free (within the first $10) by fax or patient-portal upload.
- For each additional test report: $2 per multiple-page report, or $1 for a single page.
- Note: you are welcome to specify all, or a particular time period, but we are unable to report an inventory of test dates outside of an appointment.
- Per page of chart notes: $0.75 (irrespective of the amount of content on any given page).
- You are welcome to specify all, or a particular time period, but we are unable to report an inventory of appointment dates outside of an appointment.
- If results are mailed, actual postage (via US Priority Mail) will be charged. [Not incurred if faxed or uploaded to your portal.]
- Please see the exceptions below regarding free access to test results from LabCorp (#3) and Genova Diagnostics (#4).
Medical records will be released to another provider only after receipt of a request in writing, signed by the patient (or his/her legal guardian). Please download and complete this form. (Note: if we are uploading records directly to your patient portal, we do not need the form.)
In the following cases, test results are available free of charge:
- Copies for any test is free if asked for during the appointment in which we are discussing it. For most “specialty” labs, I receive 2 printed copies, and automatically give you your copy during the appointment.
- If you are unable to afford the fees described here, Dr. Epstein will fax copies of test results from the prior 3 years, and the most recent 2 appointments, to you or your provider free of charge, one time, or upload them to your patient portal for permanent free access. After that, it is expected you will maintain access to what has previously been sent. If you need copies sent more than once, normal charges will be incurred.
- This applies if paying for copies would jeopardize your safety, in terms of food, shelter, utilities, medical care, or basic clothing and education. It does not apply if you are choosing between paying the fee and paying for optional items.
- Please download, complete, and return the Records Release form unless records are being uploaded to your portal account, and advise Dr. Epstein of your needs.
- For any tests done by LabCorp (my standard conventional lab), I will fax all copies of test records (including to multiple fax numbers if requested at the same time), one time, free of charge.
- Please download, complete, and return the Records Release form
- For any tests done by Genova Diagnostics (typically these might be Comprehensive Stool Analysis, Intestinal Permeability, Food Sensitivity, Nutr-Eval — but note that you might have had these tests run by Doctor’s Data), you can go to the Genova website and set up your own patient account.